Jul 10, 2011

Melange Team July Challenge "Freedom"

'Freedom' 16 X 11 mixed media c. angelia mclean 2011
I find doing pieces of art when there is a challenge like Melange Teams multi-media collage challenge very motivating for me. I actually do something rather than say I'm going to or think about doing it. Freedom is an important word for me. Not only living in the USA and what freedom means to an American but also personally. I like the freedom to search for new ways of doing something, or exploring or finding a new art or activity. I often look at birds and almost envy their liberties. That desultory flitting around through the air in this 'could care less' manner. Butterflies have this erratic way of showing off their freedom. Like they know they have freedom but can't quite decide how best to go forward with it. This month's theme was not only appropriate for the month in which we celebrate Independence Day but as I said, I found it personal and so as I get older freedom is more and more important to me. I collaged birds and butterflies with a person about to take flight herself. There are layers of tissue paper, paint and ink on watercolor paper.

No comments: